Kingsbury, TX

Cotton was King in Kingsbury during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.  A stop built in 1876 along The Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway; Kingsbury became an important post for the area’s agricultural demands.  Offering an opportunity for work, the town grew fast reaching a population of 130 within the next several years.  In the late 1870’s an agent for English settlers built his home near Kingsbury, bringing in an English population together with the German immigrants from the area. 


Downtown Kingsbury, Courtesy of Sarah Reveley

At the beginning of 1900, the population had risen to 346. Along with a steam gristmill, a cotton gin, a general store and church, Kingsbury boasted of a school district with four schools. Two one-teacher schools for 59 African-American students and two schools for 123 white students. Kingsbury joined the Seguin Independent School District in 1962.

KingsburyTexasFormerPostOffice201.jpg
The old Post Office, Courtesy of Sarah Reveley

During the 1920’s oil was being produced with two significant oilfields. By the late 1960’s, the estimated population was at 450.  In 2000, the US Census claimed the town had reached 652 residents. Today, the population is estimated at over 800, while the economy is still largely based on oil and agriculture. 

 

 

The old Post Office, Courtesy of Sarah Reveley

One of the great things about Kingsbury today is the Vintage Aviation Historical Foundation. http://www.americantowns.com/tx/kingsbury/organization/vintage_aviation_historical_foundation
The VAHF is a group dedicated to the preservation, restoration and reproduction of aircraft and other historical artifacts from the beginning of flight to the early years of WWII. Vintage Aviation Historical Foundation’s operational organization is the Pioneer Flight Museum. http://www.vintageaviation.org/

Kingsbury is situated off of Interstate 10, about 10 miles from Seguin and 25 miles from San Antonio.